Tips to Protect Your Privacy OnLine
Read our tips to protect your privacy online.
This section, contains any item related to the Internet, your office and your privacy.
Not all are privacy related, many just help you save time and money which is the main intention of this site.
There are many products for protecting your computer against attack by a virus on the market.
The main drawbacks are some are very expensive plus the fact a lot of these products can slow the computer down considerably.
The first seven of these systems are free, very effective and save money and are all tips to protect your privacy online.
1. AVG 9.0 free. This software is issued by www.grisoft.com The free version offers Anti-Virus protection and is truly remarkable. Regularly checking your system and installing free updates to protect your computer. Grisoft also have a fee paying service that is also worth investigating. Again, an excellent tip to proect your privacy online.
2. The next piece of free software on the list is Spybot to be found at
www.safer-networking.org and according to PC World and PCMag.- is the one of the best free pieces of privacy software. Another one of the tips to protect your privacy online.
Spybot - Search & Destroy detects and removes spyware, a relatively new kind of threat not yet covered by common anti-virus applications. Spyware silently tracks your surfing behaviour to create a marketing profile for you that is transmitted without your knowledge to the compilers and sold to advertising companies. Another of the tips to protect your privacy online.
If you see new toolbars in your Internet Explorer that you haven't intentionally installed, if your browser crashes inexplicably, or if your home page has been "hijacked" (or changed without your knowledge), your computer is possibly infected with a virus. It pays to be suspicious.
3. For some unknown reason some folk seem to derive pleasure from sending hoax emails threatening all sorts of dire viruses that could do potential damage to your computer system. To sort these out and to avoid getting caught, there is an excellent site www.hoax-slayer.com which deals with almost all subjects from true emails, phishing scams to Nigerian scams. Using this site will save your temper and waste of time and is one of the tips to protect your privacy online.
4. If you have your Broadband package from BT, do remember they have their BT Net Protection Plus on this package which you have paid for and is inclusive and is definitely one of the good tips to protect your privacy online.
5. A good site for checking out scams is Snopes - Rumour Has it It may not or not protect your computer, but it will protect your temper. Just look on the Home Page centre for Virus Hoaxes and Realities. What's real and what's not. This is an excellent site and enables you to sort out the good, bad and downright ugly.
6. Children are now so savvy about computers these days. If you are concerned about who they are talking to and what they are planning, but cannot watch over their shoulder the whole time, this site just might ease your fears and solve your problem. Worth investigating? Take a look at Google Family Safety Centre and find out all about it. This is another free to download site and one of the many tips to protect your privacy on line.
7. Another free addition is from Malwarebytes and is now undergoing 'road testing'. It will perform a quick or full scan on your computer, and so far has been fine.Thanks to Steve in Norfolk for this tip.Tips to protect your privacy online.
8. As with all things, there is no such thing as a free lunch, and any free internet protection site is bound to have limitations. Search around and look at the 'paying' systems that are available. It is possible to cover up to three computers with the one initial payment which makes for a cheap deal.
9. No matter what you use your computer for, backing-up your work is essential. The easiest, most efficient and cheapest way of doing this is via a memory stick. Go to www.picstop.co.uk This will most definitely protect your computer and keep your data safe. Just make sure you don't lose the memory stick! Another of the tips to protect your privacy online that works.
Another advantage is their excellent delivery service. We road tested this site and just 19 hours after placing our order, our memory stick arrived. An excellent service and definitely recommended.
10. An added cost is a Broadband service and it will pay you to have a look around and sort out a good deal for yourself. Don't throw your money away.
If a competitor is advertising a 'special-offer-cheap-deal' which is cheaper than you have with your present supplier, contact your supplier and use this information to knock down the price you are paying. Another of the tips to protect your privacy online and your pocket.
It may also pay you to keep an eye on the amount of downloads you are undertaking. Some Broadband contracts only allow for 1 gigabyte (GB) or up to 1024 megabytes of data each month. This is the equivalent of about 1 1/2 hours of television programming or less than many feature films. Take a look at the small print on your contract before you run yourself up a mega bill. You can be charged up to £2 for each GB if you exceed your limit. Be careful, otherwise you will waste and not save money. Not exactly one of the tips to protect your privacy online, but it will definitely save you money.
11. If you would like to test your Broadband speed, just click on the logo to the right and use their free service. You may or not get a pleasant surprise depending on how close you live to a telephone exchange.
HowIPromoteMyWebsite.com - This site is a little gem if you are trying to establish a web site. It's unusual to find so much practical and genuine advice helping you to promote your own site, given away for free online.
13. Shredder. Once a month, or depending upon usage, drip a few spots of three-in-one oil on to a sheet of paper and pass it through the machine. This will keep the cutter teeth working well.
14. Don't neglect your computer 'housework'. A regular clean-up and de-frag will help to keep things running smoothly. Go to All Programs - Accessories - System Tools and make your selection there - Clean up and Disk Defragmenter. Save time and leave this system running in the background whilst you do other work, or it can be set to operate when you have finished working. If you have not defragged for some considerable time, this process could take about two hours to complete. This will protect your computer in that all unwanted files and space will be eliminated.
15. Another tip, again not on software but for printer cartridges. The recommended advice is not to use cartridges that have been refilled. There is a danger that any residue ink left in the cartridge prior to refilling can cause the intricate ink feed mechanism in your printer to become clogged.
It is possible to find a good 'unbranded' replacement cartridge at around £4.99 as opposed the sometimes astronomical prices of 'branded' cartridges. It pays to ask and shop around. Initially just buy one replacement cartridge as a 'trial'. Another of the tips to protect your privacy online that work.
16. Another non-software tip. If you are spending long periods of time at the computer,then every 20/30 minutes it will pay you to stop, get up stretch your arms and legs, before starting work again. It will also keep you and your brain feeling fresher. Don't always think how to protect your computer, think how to protect the operator - you!
Do you know of a good, tried and tested free software system that is designed for protecting your privacy on line?
Why not pass it on to us via the
Contact Us page
then we can pass it on to our other readers.
You will be given full credit.
Why not subscribe to our Free Monthly Newsletter while you are here?
Get all our money saving tips to keep you and your bank balance healthy.
So easy to do.
Give this recession a beating and sign up today.
No catches – just good information.
If you missed the latest edition of the Newsletter you can read it here.
Free Identity Fraud Protection
Internet Security Protection
Security Against Fraud
Benefits of Home Working
Benefits of Working at Home, Part 2.
Why Not Try Something New Today
Search This Site
Back to Top of Page
Go from Tips to Protect Your Privacy OnLine
back to Money Saving Home Page