Read our Clothing tips for Ladies
In order to avoid disaster, every available money saving tip is needed.
Be ready to pick up a bargain at the right price, so keep a clear picture of the contents of your wardrobe and what you really need.
Don't buy a fantastic pair of trousers, only to go home and find an almost identical pair lurking in the wardrobe.
It has been known!
Girls - This is not the way to save money.
1. If you are in need of some strong self discipline to help you save money, make a list of what you actually need. Put this list in your wallet. When you are actually confronted in a shop or on a web site, with an item that you regard as a ‘possible’ - check the list! Remember girls, we are trying to save money! Our other page on clothes will also help you.
2. There are several web sites, that offer designer style labels at reasonable prices. Take a look around to see what is available. Some also offer clothing tips for ladies. Try a Google search, it should bring up masses of information for you.
3. Buying from a
catalogue and the Internet has an advantage if you live in the
country and find town shopping difficult. Also, ladies living in the
country will find
good advice here. Most
catalogues and web sites also offer clothing tips for ladies. Their
photographs are very useful for sparking ideas.
However, be prepared for possible disappointment either in the look/feel of the garment and the sizing. Remember there is the bother and cost of returning the goods. Some companies now offer a 'postage paid returns label' (check first) so if in doubt order two sizes i.e., a 10 and 12. Try them on and return the unsuitable one.
If an item is not in stock in the store, i.e. M & S and Next or your size is out of stock, you may find it available on the their Internet sites. The windows of fashion stores offer many clothing tips for ladies as do web sites.
A further added advantage of buying from an online based retailer is that these companies do not have a 'bricks and mortar' operation to maintain. Instead they run their businesses out of large 'shed type' warehouses which makes their pricing lower.
If you find a catalogue that suits you, stick with it. Cancel the rest then the dangers of falling into temptation are lessened.
5. The whole secret of how to save money is buying clothes you need as opposed to buying what you fancy. This will probably result in a better structured look. These clothing tips for ladies will also help you.
6. If you have a colour scheme that suits you, your skin type and colouring this should also help focus your mind.
One basic dark or neutral colour as a background will serve to unify your wardrobe allowing you to mix and match, introducing bright, lighter colours to give the required, stunning lift.
An Italian lady, who was extremely elegant, based her entire wardrobe on just three colours - black, red and white. Another colour combination is navy blue, green and white. This is extreme, but can feature amongst the classic clothing tips for ladies. One important point to remember here is - does white suit you when worn next to the face?
No more agonising over what to wear - will my bum look big in this - will it match? The problem is over if you have colour coordinated clothes chosen with care, that you know suits you. Our page on a capsule wardrobe should be of help.
Some girls might think this boring. But just think of the advantage of knowing that whatever you pick to wear from your wardrobe you will know it will match and you will be well dressed without having to think about it. You will save money as well as time and effort. Bliss. One of our superb clothing tips for ladies.
7. Ladies who live in the country may possibly need to choose different colours, perhaps based on brown, green and buttercup yellow. Don't forget to take your skin and hair colouring into consideration.
8. You will need a few classic items in your wardrobe such as a pair of well cut trousers, a classic white shirt and a jacket that can be worn in the day time as well as the evening. Then you will have a skeleton on which to work.
A word of caution - if your hair is grey, avoid white. Combined with the grey hair it can have a dreadful leaching effect on the skin. Another one of our good clothing tips for ladies that most of us will need in time.
9. Also remember, the latest high fashion object will be out of fashion in a matter of months. Therefore, if you can have these few classic items in the wardrobe you will be immune to fashion fads.
This tip is probably not as exciting as impulse buying, but it saves a lot of grief where your credit card and bank balance are concerned.
If you really, really cannot resist impulse buying, limit it to one of the cheaper chains for the latest up-to-the-minute-soon-to-disappear-again item.
10. An exception to this impulse rule is when confronted with an item of clothing that you always wear, and is almost a ‘standard or classic’. It often pays to make an intelligent impulse buy here and store it away until needed. WIGIG – when it’s gone, its gone! For instance, in a sale you may well see a ‘standard item’ that will do for next winter or summer that can be stored away. Do be careful - make sure you don't add to the 80% of your clothes that are not being worn.
11. Beware of Store Cards. The interests rates on these can be as much as a phenomenal 31%. It is wiser not to sign up for one of these cards. Just ignore the ‘fantastic opening offers’ that are there to tempt you. At the time of writing BHS have just increased the rate on their Store Card to an eye watering 28.2%. This is almost twice the rate of a normal credit card and gazillion times the Bank of England Base Rate.
Remember, these stores are offering you these cards for the benefit of their finances – not yours.
This is one of our most serious clothing tips for ladies.
M & S have announced that they will no longer
accept cheques. So here it is case of cash or your credit card -
definitely not an M & S Store card. You would be well advised to
cut up your Store Cards and just using your ordinary credit card.
These will at least have a lower rate of interest.
12. When out
shopping, it is sometimes better to spend a little more
money in order to save money.
No, this is not stupid – just think of the old saying – ‘The bitter taste of poor quality remains long after the sweet taste of a low price is forgotten.'
Quality is the watchword. Where clothes are concerned, a quality item is more likely to last longer and will then eventually help you to save money. A classic item from our clothing tips for ladies.
13. Don't forget to take a look at eBay for designer and top label brand clothing. Many items have the swing ticket still attached, but watch out for designer fakes. An Armani silk tie for £1.00 should tell you something. Take care not to be 'suckered' and just stick to our clothing tips for ladies as your guide.
14. Best of all think and see how you can beat the system. Look in Charity Shops but think in a different way. Make unusual combinations. This totally unexpected member of our clothing tips for ladies can often throw up real, classic bargains.
15. Last and by no means least remember - ladies wear 20% of their clothes 80% of the time, and 80% of their clothes 20% of the time, you will see the need for focus and of sticking to our clothing tips for ladies guide.
16. Don't forget that by shopping at the wrong time you will also save money. Buy your Winter coat in the Spring when retailers are marking down their prices.
Learn how to develop your own ‘style’. If you wear basic clothes put them together a bit differently (like a vest over a t-shirt or a dress over a pair of jeans) People will say you look smart and think you must have spent a lot of money on your outfit.
Also, a scarf or wooden beads bought in the sales won’t cost a lot but can really 'lift' an outfit. Thank you to Kylie from Finland for individual fashion ideas from the Charity Shop.
Just think how you will giggle when a friend compliments you on your fantastic clothes - when only you will know they came from a Charity Shop!
Nice one - and keep quiet about it!
Confession time? That is for you to decide!
The author has attended a Board Meeting dressed in charity shop 'finds' and was complimented on her smart outfit! She kept very quiet and just enjoyed the compliment.
You will see that we will need to
exercise quite a lot
of willpower here, girls.
objective to save money on clothes well in mind.
Consult our clothing tips for ladies. Go for it!
Maybe, just maybe the one time when you may be allowed a little splurge on the budget is on your wedding day, but with our help you should be able to stick to a budget.
A very important point to bear in mind is that if you look after the person wearing the clothes - yourself - then you will have an advantage over the others. Take a look at this excellent beauty site for all the first class natural help you may need.
subscribe to our Free Newsletter here?
Get all our money saving tips
to keep your bank balance healthy.
So easy to do.
Give this recession a beating and
sign up today.
Just make good use of the form in the third column.
If you missed the last edition of the Newsletter you can read it here.
Are you looking for a job?
If so, this book is probably the one for you.
See our excellent selection of eBooks below - all with one aim in mind -
Boosting Your Income